Saturday, September 3, 2011

03.09



For those of you who can remember my previous blog, British Trash, you'll have noticed that this blog is slightly different in content and direction. I used to purchase new items frequently (at least once a week) from online sites, in particular ASOS & Topshop, lulled by their cheap prices, free international shipping and the quick fix you get from having that new package land on your desk. I guess the main change is that I open my wardrobe and I'm just sick of seeing of seeing it filled with crap. It sounds almost comical that a girl is over having too many clothes.

I've noticed recently, and perhaps this is through working in the industry, that finer details have become more important to me. There are brands out there that I definitely resonate with and will go back to time after time, but the idea of buying a dress that holds an automatic cachet with everyone else is beyond me. I'd rather have the private satisfaction of the fabric, the craftsmanship and the knowledge that I can pull it out in 5, 10, 15 years and love it just as much.

Being surrounded by clothing and collections five days a week has made me almost neutral to certain trends, and a disassociation from the "new" helps when you're thinking six months ahead at all times. This probably explains why my wardrobe tends to be a sea of black. After reading "The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own" By Nina Garcia I've decided to collate my own list of 'must have' items. I doubt I'd be able to buy more than one a year but if I'm saving up for this then it definitely puts buying other insignificant items in to perspective. One tip I can definitely recommend is either leaving your credit card in a drawer at home (or actually freezing it in ice helps) or sticky taping a list of items you really want to it so when you pull it out to pay for an impulse buy, you can remind yourself of the bigger things! I'm going to spend all day tomorrow clearing out and organising my wardrobe, and then eBaying everything unwanted to raise some money for new things!

Old with the old, in with the new!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I can totally relate to what you are saying! I too came to the point where I had too many clothes hence nothing to wear. Slowly culling all the pieces I no longer wear, be they too cheap, too small, not my style anymore, damaged etc etc... It's a slow and long process but so rewarding!
    Ps. the font you have picked is a little difficult to read... but maybe I just need glasses :)

    ReplyDelete